Preferred Name and Name Change at Ohio State

We recognize that for many LGBTQ+ individuals, the ability to use a preferred name is an important step on the journey toward self-discovery. Ohio State University encourages students to utilize this policy if they have a name that they prefer over their legal name. Below is information on Ohio State's preferred name policy. This page also covers how to update the University following a legal name and/or gender marker change. 

The Office of Institutional Equity provides guidance on use of chosen names and pronouns.

Preferred Name Policy

Students and employees can set a preferred name on In doing so, your preferred name will automatically be used within a variety of applications and systems across campus. There is a Knowledge Base Article for more information on how to update your preferred name.

Preferred Name Usage

Systems and applications managed by the Office of Technology and Digital Innovation make it a priority to use the preferred first and last name provided by Ohio State community members whenever possible. Below is an overview of Ohio State's most used systems that will use your preferred name as listed on

  • Display Name

  • FindPeople

  • Ohio State App

  • University Email

  • Skype Address Book

  • Class rosters

  • Grade rosters

  • CarmenCanvas

  • CarmenZoom

  • Advising Reports and Advising Portals

  • BuckeyeLink

  • Official university correspondence Web Applications using single sign on display preferred names within the applications (e.g., SharePoint, Drupal, and WordPress).

For a complete list of websites, programs, and policies, the Administrative Resource Center has a resource that covers Preferred Name Usage.

Note: Across Ohio State, different digital systems are utilized for varying services, and not all of these platforms are integrated together. This means that your legal name may still show up in some places even though you have selected a preferred name. The Office of Technology and Digital Innovation is working hard to ensure preferred names are used whenever possible, but this endeavor is still a work in progress.

Changing your Preferred First Name Online 

  1. Login to
  2. Select My OSU Identity Information
  3. Choose your preferred first name
  4. Select Submit

Preferred Name on BuckID

Once you set your preferred name, you can also request a new BuckID with your preferred name free of cost. Your legal name will still appear on diplomas, transcripts, enrollment verifications, and degree verifications. For more information about this process, please see the Frequently Asked Questions for use of a preferred name on BuckID.

Staff and Faculty

If you are an employee of the University (excluding student employees), you can set your preferred name on Workday. For steps on how to do so, visit the Administrative Resource Center article on this topic.

Updating Legal Name and Gender Marker at Ohio State

After completing the legal name change process and/or gender marker change process, you can update your name and/or gender marker with The Ohio State University Registrar by submitting a Request for Change of Record online.

To update your legal name, select “Primary Name” from the “Change Request” dropdown menu and upload a copy of either the court order documenting your legal name change or a valid passport using your current legal name.

To update your legal gender marker, first complete a Declaration Gender Designation Form. Next, access the Request for a Change of Record form. Select “Gender” from the “Change Request” dropdown menu and upload a copy of your completed Declaration of Gender Designation Form.